Saturday, February 11, 2012

04/12/01

Percy keeps emailing all kinds of shit to me on the Revolutionary War. I keep reading the shit and then wishing I hadn’t. Every time I read something that tells me about how things really happened around here it pretty much wrecks the picture I had in my mind for my story and it’s like I have to start over again, forming the picture again in my mind with the new information being taken into consideration.

For a time Percy wanted to write about Washington’s Masonic activities while the Continental Army was camped here at the end of the war---The ‘Temple of Virtue’ that Washington built at Temple Hill in New Windsor and all that--- but he said he’s had to put that on hold while he works on his Crypto-Judaism in New Paltz shit.

Anyway, here’s a little of what Eager had to say about the Temple of Virtue:

On lands located by Haskins, and afterwards known the Duzenberry farm, during the Revolution, and while the army was stationed in that vicinity, General Washington erected a large temporary building for the several purposes of a Church for the army, a lodge room for the fraternity of Masons among the officers, and to hold public meetings as occasion might require. We have particularly spoken of this building, and certain proceedings had in it of an interesting character at the time, in the early part of our paper. We now remark, that when it was finished, the officers of the army named it “the Temple of Virtue.” Soon after completion the officers got up a Ball to grace its patriot existence the largest scale the condition of the country round, and their facilities for such a purpose, would admit of. All the youth and beauty, wit, wealth and character, from far and near, that could be collected on such a high and joyous occasion were there. Fathers and mothers were there, and considering the time, place and circumstances, it was an honor to be there, to grace a ball room, and thread the merry dance with, or in the presence of, the father of his country and the saviours of the land. Doubtless all enjoyed the spirit of the festival as if it were the celebration of a victory that established the Independence of the country.

The dance went on, and was continued till a late hour, when the hero general retired, and it was renewed, if possible, in life and spirit. But there is an end to all things, and so with the dance. The excitements of the night ended in a debauch with many of the officers, who finally conducted themselves in a loud and riotous manner, and the Temple forfeited its virtuous character. From that night the name was changed, and ever afterwards it was known as “the Temple.”



I blew off Swami again. He’s plenty pissed, I can tell. I had every intention of going to work today but Phebe laid into me for not listening to her earlier in the week when she asked me to be home today.

It’s Maundy Thursday, she says, I told you I need you to watch the baby while I help take care of things at church.

What the Hell is Maundy Thursday? I ask.

Holy Thursday, Jackass! She says.

Then tonight we heard Betty’s back in the hospital fighting for her life. Phebe went out to the hospital from church, didn’t come home until late. Not good for Betty at all.

At some point during the night a car that looked like Cupid Boy’s tried to go down the lane, but turned around and peeled out when confronted by a locked gate.

I have to get that Winnebago of Virtue the hell off the fucking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment